Preventing fires at your business!
Fire Causes around $10 Billion In Damage Per Year according to the "Burden of Tobacco in your Workplace, page 1 by tobaccofreetippecanoe.org"
Fire safety tips for the workplace are as important as fire tips for the home! Here are some tips for businesses:
Eliminate workplace fire hazards.
- Replace damaged electrical outlets, cords, cables, etc.
- Be mindful of overloaded outlets and circuits.
- Fire exits need to be free of any obstacles.
Prepare for emergencies!
- Follow workplace protocol and guidelines.
- Ensure that smoke alarms and sprinkler systems are installed and working properly.
- Conduct regular fire drills.
Employers should follow these workplace fire safety tips:
- Post clear fire escape plans on every level.
- Educate all employees on emergency procedures, exit locations and escape routes.
- Install and properly maintain all fire safety equipment.
- Use only electrical products evaluated by a nationally recognized laboratory (i.e. UL).
- Immediately replace damaged, hazardous equipment.
- Only use three-prong plugs in three-slot outlets (and, similarly: two-slot plug into two-slot outlets).
Heaters must include a thermostat control mechanism.
SMOKE ALARMS ARE A NECESSITY, NOT AN OPTION.
Invest in smoke detectors for every room or office.
Test your smoke detectors and sprinkling system monthly.
Replace smoke detector batteries at least once a year unless you have a 10yr lithium battery detector.
Never disable a smoke alarm.
Provide for disabled employees by considering these two types of detectors:
- Audible alarms (pauses between the siren wail allow for auditory communication) are available for the visually impaired.
- Visual alarms (with a flashing light or vibrating pad) are available for the hearing impaired.
Know and understand the fire emergency and evacuation plan with these workplace fire safety tips:
- Plan multiple escape routes from as many locations as possible.
- Fire escapes need to be stable, secure, and easily accessible.
- Ensure that windows are easily accessed and easily opened.
- Never use the elevator.
We never know when disaster may strike! Keeping your self and your employees safe is the most important thing.
SERVPRO of Lebanon/Hanover/Littleton is here for you if disaster strikes; Let us take care of your business, so you can focus on your employees.