If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (603) 298-6942

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Holiday safety

12/7/2018 (Permalink)

Holiday Safety

Watch Out for Those Fire-starters!

Candles and Fireplaces!!

Thousands of deaths are caused by fires, burns and other fire- related injuries every year, and 12% of home candle fires occur in December, the National Fire Protection Association reports.
Increased use of candles and fireplaces,combined with an increase in the amount of combustible, seasonal decorations present in many homes means more risk for fire.


Top Ten Holiday Safety Tips!

1. Inspect electrical decorations for damage before use. Cracked or damaged sockets, loose or bare wires, and loose connections may cause a serious shock or start a fire.

2. Do not overload electrical outlets.
Overloaded electrical outlets and faulty wires are a common cause of holiday fires. Avoid overloading outlets and plug only one high-wattage into each outlet at a time.

3. Never connect more than three strings of incandescent lights. More than three strands may not only blow a fuse, but can also cause a fire.

4. Keep trees fresh by watering daily,dry trees are a serious fire hazard.

5. Use battery-operated candles,candles start almost half of home decoration fires (NFPA).

6. Keep combustibles at least three feet from heat sources.

7. Protect cords from damage.
To avoid shock or fire hazards, cords should never be pinched by furniture, forced into small spaces such as doors and windows, placed under rugs, located near heat sources, or attached by nails or staples.

8. Check decorations for certification label.
Decorations not bearing a label from an independent testing laboratory such as Underwriters Laboratories (UL), Canadian
Standards Association (CSA), or Intertek (ETL) have not been tested for safety and could be hazardous.

9. Stay in the kitchen when something is cooking.
Unattended cooking equipment is the leading cause of home cooking fires (NFPA).

10. Turn off, unplug, and extinguish all decorations when going to sleep or leaving the house. Unattended candles are the cause of one in five home candle fires. Half of home fire deaths occur between the hours of 11pm and 7am (NFPA).

We hope that these tips have been helpful to you, and everyone here at SERVPRO of Lebanon/Hanover/Littleton wishes you a SAFE and Happy Holidays!

Other News

View Recent Posts