Spring and Summer storm tips
Spring is here and summer is not far behind..Spring and Summer are very unpredictable when it comes to storms. It can bring rain, wind and even hail!
In the Northeast we're used to temps going from 80 one day to 50 the next, This does take it's toll on us! This is why we need to be ever vigilant when it comes to preparing for the storm season inside and out.
Here are some tips for preparing for storm season.
- Assess. Take a walk around your property often to see if there is any damage. Especially after Winter!
- Check your gutters to make sure they are clear of debris and don't neglect to check the roof and chimney for damaged shingles and potential areas where leaking can occur.
- Trim and prune trees of all dead limbs and pick up any that may have fallen over the winter. These can become projectiles in a windy storm.
- Make sure that your sump pump is in working order; Winter thaw and Spring runoff can really wreak havoc in your basement.
- Always make sure that your outside items are secured or better yet; picked up and put away in the case that a storm is coming.
In the Northeast; we have many rural and secluded areas that are beautiful to live in; but with that beauty comes some sacrifices. Many of these homeowners deal with power outages on a pretty regular basis.
So, whether your preparing for a potential storm or are frequently without power; it's always good to plan for the power to be out for an extended period of time.
Think ahead. Make ice, lots of it. This will come in handy with coolers to keep your food fresh and also to keep your refrigerator and freezer cold.
Have a battery powered radio for updates on when the power may be restored to your area.
Make sure that your cell phone is charged.
These are just a few tips to help you have a safe and happy Spring!