Winter Storm Preparedness Part1
Be prepared before a winter storm hits by planning ahead.
During really cold weather or winter storms, staying safe and warm presents many challenges! Storms bring with them very cold temps, power outages,icy roads and loss of communication. With some planning, you cab be prepared!
Weatherproofing your home will help to keep you warm, Some tips on this are..
- Insulate any water lines that run along exterior walls so your water supply will be less likely to freeze.
- Caulk and weather-strip doors and windows.
- Make sure that your homes walls and attic are properly insulated.
- Install storm or thermal-pane windows or cover windows with plastic from the inside.
- Repair roof leaks and cut away tree branches that could fall on your home or other structure during a storm.
- If possible, having a generator when you live in colder climates is a plus.
- If you are using wood as your source of heat, have your chimney or flue inspected every year. Always make sure to have battery operated smoke and carbon detectors.
Have a list of important phone numbers in case of emergency. This should include your physician, pediatrician, pharmacist, and veterinarian.
Other important numbers to have are:
Poison Control Center: 800-222-1222
Animal Poison Control Helpline: 888-426-4435
Disaster Distress Helpline: 800-985-5990
According to FEMA, over 60% of people do not have an emergency plan in place. Start yours today!