Winter is fast approaching and we all love a snow day in the Upper Valley!!
Prevent Winter Damage today!
The reality is that major winter storms can wreak havoc in our everyday lives, causing inconvenience, discomfort and expensive damage.
Keep your home protected from these disruptions by following these tips:
- Start by cleaning out the gutters.This allows melting snow a place to go and is helpful in the prevention of ice dams.
- Inspect the roof for damaged shingles and damaged roof flashing. Both of which can let water into your home.
- Check your Chimney for cracks and leaning. Both will need to be repaired before the winter sets in. Make sure that your chimney has a cap that is properly installed.
- Get yourself a roof rake. Removing large amounts of snow from your roof will eliminate the chances of a roof collapse and help keep away the formations of ice dams.
- Check your pipes. If you have pipes that are on exterior walls or unheated areas of your home; get them insulated before the really cold temperatures hit. No one wants to deal with burst pipes!
- know where the main water valve is in your home. This is imperative if you do end up with some burst pipes.
Personal safety is a must!
- Keep walkways clear of snow and ice with deicing products and make sure to have clear paths to your main water valve and circuit breaker in case of emergency.
- Create and maintain a safety kit for each person in the event of an extended power outage.
For information on kits and what you should have in them; click here
Safety is the name of the game!