If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (603) 298-6942

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Top Ten reasons for house fires and how to avoid them.

10/11/2019 (Permalink)

Fire and smoke damaged front door and glass panes Fire Prevention is key

Top Ten reasons for house fires and how to avoid them.

The thought of your home burning down is a nightmare and we all hope that this won't happen to us, but knowledge is our best tool and knowing the causes of fire can help us prevent it.

Cooking equipment

Pots and pans can overheat and cause a fire very easily if the person cooking gets distracted and leaves cooking unattended. Always stay in the room, or ask someone to watch your food, when cooking on hotplates.


Keep portable heaters at least 3 feet away from anything that could easily catch fire such as furniture, curtains, laundry, clothes and even yourself. If you have a furnace, get it inspected once a year to make sure it is working to safety standards.

Smoking in bedrooms

Bedrooms are best to be kept off limits for smoking. A cigarette that is not put out properly can cause a flame, as the butt may stay alit for a few hours. It could burst into flames if it came into contact with flammable materials, such as furniture.

Electrical equipment

An electrical appliance, such as a toaster can start a fire if it is faulty or has a frayed cord. A power strip that is overloaded with double adapter plugs can cause a fire from an overuse of electricity.


Candles look and smell pretty, but if left unattended they can cause a room to easily burst into flames. Keep candles away from any obviously flammable items such as books and tissue boxes and curtains. Always blow a candle out before leaving a room.

Curious children

Kids can cause a fire out of curiosity, to see what would happen if they set fire to an object. Keep any matches or lighters out of reach of children. Install a smoke alarm in your child’s room and practice a home escape plan with your children and family in case there was a fire.

Faulty wiring

 Homes with inadequate wiring can cause fires from electrical hazards. Some signs to see if you’ve bad wiring are:

  • Lights dim if you use another appliance.
  • For an appliance to work, you have to disconnect another.
  • Fuses blow or trip the circuit frequently.

Have a licensed electrician come and inspect you house, or contact your landlord if you have any of the above occurrences.


Barbecues are a great way to cook in the warmer months, but should always be used away from the home, tablecloths or any plants and tree branches.

Check the gas bottle for any leaks before you use it each time.

Flammable liquids

If you have any flammable liquids in the home or garage such as gasoline or kerosene  keep them away from heat sources and check the label before storing. Be careful when pouring these liquids.


Lamp shades and light fittings can build up heat if they are very close to light bulbs. Check around the house to make sure. Lamp bases can become a hazard if they are able to be knocked over easily, and so should be removed if they are.

If you have any fire related questions, give us a call today at 603-298-6942. 

Other News

View Recent Posts