Holiday Safety before you decorate
The Holidays are right around the corner and now is the time to get the decorations out!
Around the holidays we need to be extra careful not to overload our plugs and extension cords. You could lose your power or even worse, start a FIRE!
According to the NFPA Electrical distribution or lighting equipment was involved in more than two of every five (44%) home Christmas tree fires.
Two of every five (39%) home Christmas tree fires started in the living room. Five percent were chimney or flue fires. One-fifth (21%) of the decoration fires started in the kitchen. Sixteen percent started in the living room, family room or den.
Almost three of every five (57%) December home decoration fires were started by candles, compared to one-third (32%) in January to November.
Carefully decorating your home can help make your holidays safer.
Between 2013-2017, U.S. fire departments responded to an average of 160 home fires that started with Christmas trees per year. U.S. fire departments responded to an estimated average of 780 home structure fires per year that began with decorations, excluding Christmas trees.
Make sure that your extension cords are not twisted and are in good working order as well as all lights be checked and are in good working order before you use them.
For more Holiday fire safety tips: Click here
SERVPRO of Lebanon/Hanover/Littleton wants to wish everyone a happy and SAFE Holiday season!