Chemical Spill and Biohazard Cleanup..What's it all about?
Many companies and even homes have potentially dangerous chemicals in them, Do you know what to do if exposed to them?
Exposure to biological and chemical contaminants can pose serious health effects.
A failure to properly remove such substances can contribute to unhealthy and dangerous environments.
SERVPRO of Lebanon/Hanover/Littleton have professionals trained to safely clean and remove bio hazardous substances and dispose of them in accordance with OSHA and all health regulations.
Preparedness is essential.
Familiarize yourself and your employees with these simple steps in the case of a spill:
- Make sure everyone is alerted to the spill
- Determine the chemical nature of the spill and check the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS). Remember that sometimes determining whether or not a waste is a “hazardous waste” is difficult, and that the best policy is to assume all chemicals should be handled as hazardous waste.
- Make sure any electrical and spark producing equipment is turned off.
- If there’s fire, use the proper fire extinguisher right away.
- If appropriate, outfit yourself and employees in protective equipment or hazmat gear, including respirator, safety goggles and gloves.
- If needed, evacuate yourself and your employees. If the chemical spilled is toxic, volatile, or flammable, evacuation should be carried out immediately.
- If the chemical spilled is hazardous or highly toxic, alert all appropriate authorities and call 911
- In the case of a small spill, create a barrier around the spill with absorbent materials such as paper towels, vermiculite, or sand.
- Put up signs to prevent access to the contaminated area and warn of danger.
If your business has a policy or plan in place for these kinds of events, make sure you know it well!
If you do not have a plan of action in place or need a more comprehensive and detailed plan to go along with what you already have; contact SERVPRO of Lebanon/Hanover/Littleton and we will provide you with an Emergency Readiness Profile at no cost to your business.
Biohazard emergencies don't always occur during the day or during your regular hours of business!
That's why, SERVPRO of Lebanon/Hanover/Littleton is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and can be reached at 603-298-6942
"Like it never even happened."