HOLIDAY FIRE SAFTEY!
Although the weather is colder, fires in the home are still a huge risk.
Its Christmas time, people are putting up decorations, lights, and Christmas trees.
Christmas trees cause approximately 200 home fires per year, which result in approximately 6 deaths, 16 injuries, and around $14.8 million in property damage.
Christmas decorations have caused approximately 840 home structural fires, 3which have resulted in about 2 deaths, 36 injuries and $11.4 million in damage.
This doesn’t mean don’t decorate your home for the holidays, it just means, please be careful, and use the necessary precautions!
When decorating your home and tree this holiday season, here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Examine all of your cords. Make sure there are no tears, and that all the prongs are intact.
- Do not overload extension cords, and if plugs call for 3 prong, get a 3 prong extension cord.
- Choose a tree with fresh, green, needles that do not fall off when touched.
- Place the tree at least 3ft away from any heat source, (EX: fireplace, radiators, heat vents, candles or lamps.)
- Do not block exits with tree.
- Make sure with a real tree you are watering it daily.
- When decorating, replace any bad cords or lights that are damaged.
- Make sure to turn off lights when leaving the home or going to bed.
- After Christmas, dispose of the tree properly.
We at SERVPRO, hope you have a Safe and Happy Holiday!
If you should fall victim to the unfortunate event of a fire call SERVPRO of Lebanon/Hanover/Littleton at 603.298.6942
To learn more about Fire Damage Clean-up click here.