Fires Happen, Even in the Colder Weather
Fires don’t just happen in hot weather. They can happen anytime, even in the winter months. The first 24-48 hours can make all the difference between restoring and replacing. Responding quickly, with the right tools and equipment, we can get your business back up and running or back into your home as quickly as possible.
Here are 5 of the most common Fire causes in the winter months:
- Candles- Keep candles away from flammable objects. Careless candle placement is the leading cause of fires in the US.
- Space Heaters- Just like candles, space heater fires are common. Most due to clothing, curtains, or other flammable objects placed too close to the heaters. Need to keep flammable objects AT LEAST 3 feet from heaters.
- Fire Places- Always make sure to put out the fire before you leave your home or go to bed at night. Always keep a watchful eye while gas or logs are burning.
- Over-worked Electrical Outlets- Heating appliances require a large amount of electricity. You should only have 1 heating appliance plugged in to an electrical outlet at a time.
- NON Working Smoke Detectors- Smoke detectors are your biggest and fastest help in a fire! Be sure to check your smoke detectors. They need to be fully functioning and have fresh batteries for winter months. Batteries should be changed at least TWICE a year. Daylight savings time is a good way to remember to change your batteries. However, your smoke detectors should be tested once a month, and replaced every 7-10 years.
What to do in the case of a fire:
- Try not to panic
- Tell everyone in the house
- Have a pre-planned exit plan, use it as safely and as quickly as possible
- Smoke rises, so stay low or crawl. The air is cleaner and will be easier to breathe
- Do not try to gather possessions or valuables
- If it is possible, close the door to where the fire is, and close each door as you leave the room. This will help slow the spread of the fire.
- Be careful when you have to open a door, tap quickly or touch with the back of your hand. If the knob is hot, DO NOT OPEN IT, good chance fire is on the other side
- Do not go back into the building
- Find a safe place near the building and wait for help to arrive
- Do NOT go back in to the building
6 Things you need to do after a fire:
- Call your insurance company immediately
- Ask about restoration companies, like SERVPRO, that can help with the cleaning, boarding windows and other construction.
- When it is safe to re-enter your home, separate damaged items from undamaged
- Save undamaged property and items from further destruction.
- Cooperate FULLY with the insurance companies investigation
- Find somewhere to stay if you cannot stay in your home safely
If you should fall victim to the unfortunate event of a fire call SERVPRO of Lebanon/Hanover/Littleton at 603.298.6942
To learn more about our fire clean up services Click Here
#SERVPROofLebanon/Hanover/Littleton #SERVPRO603 #HereToHelp