Water Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
HELP My basement is flooded!
What are some of the things that SERVPRO can do when I have a flood in my basement?
Flooded Basement dry Out:
- Pump Deep Water
- Carpet Water removal
- Moisture Test walls
- Set up Drying Equipment
- Apply Antimicrobials
- Test Drying Complete
Even if you have an unfinished basement, leaving water or moisture can cause damage to the rest of the structure. Imagine the condensation that could happen when it's 90* outside. The concrete or cement blocks used to construct basements are susceptible to mold growth as well as odor. Imagine all of the exposed framing. Framing lumber does and will absorb moisture and thus, grow mold. The metal framing ties may not be porous enough for mold growth; but they will corrode.
How about the plumbing and wiring? Again, any metal parts can and most likely will corrode with excess moisture in the air.
The insulation! Perfect for mold growth!
So the takeaway here is,Always remove excess water,dry quickly and apply appropriate antimicrobials.
If you have a flooding situation, SERVPRO of Lebanon/Hanover/Littleton are prepared and ready! Call 603-298-6942 24hours a day, 365 days a year!
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (603) 298-6942
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.